Skilled Regional (Provisional) Visa

Skilled Regional (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 491)


This visa allows you to live and work in Regional territories of Australia for up to 4 years. However, you must choose an occupation from the relevant occupation list and also need to get the sponsorship from that particular state or territory in Australia, which you have chosen to apply. 

The Skilled-Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 491) is for skilled workers and their families to live, work and study in specified regional areas in Australia for four years. Applicants under this category must live for two years and work for at least one year in a Specified Region or designated area of Australia. This is a good option for those who do not score 65 points individually on Australian Immigration Points Test.

There are two pathways for this visa:

  1. The Invited Pathway
  2. The Extended Stay Pathway – you must hold a provisional visa in subclass 475, 487, 495 or 496.

Invited Pathway

You might be eligible to apply for this visa if invited and you are either:

  • Nominated by an Australian State or Territory government agency, or
  • Sponsored by an eligible relative living in a Designated area of Australia.

Extended Stay Pathway

You might be eligible to apply for this visa:

  • You hold a provisional visa in subclass 475, 487, 495 or 496.
  • You would be granted an extension for 48 months from the date of your first provisional visa granted date.


  • Have an experience in any of the occupation listed in the consolidated skilled occupation list of Australia.
  • Score at least 65 points on his/her selection factors, i.e. Age, Qualification, Experience, English proficiency and other such components if applicable (Click here to calculate your points)
  • Get a state/territory sponsorship.
  • Be under 45 years of age.
  • Obtain a positive skill assessment from the relevant assessing authority
  • Have required level of English Proficiency
  • Experience as required by state/territory requirement
  • Submit an Expression of Interest (EOI)
  • Meet the health and character requirements.
  • Live in sponsoring state or territory for 2 years once visa is granted


This visa allows you and your family to

  • Live and work in Australia for up to four years
  • Travel in and outside Australia, till your visa is valid.
  • Study in a predefined region of Australia.
  • Apply for permanent residency if you meet the required conditions.


The applicants have to satisfy the basic requirements to migrate under the skilled Independent visa.

Sponsored by a Regional Government:

 Applicant’s nominated occupation should be listed in the respective state list and he/she should meet all the eligibility criteria as set by the state. The applicant has to commit to live and work in this state for initial 2 years of stay in specified regional area of Australia.

You must have lived in regional Australia or a low population growth metropolitan area for at least two years if you were nominated for subclass 491 by a regional government. These areas are listed by postcode and state on the table below.

Regional and low population growth metropolitan areas

Sponsor by a relative:

The applicant should be sponsored by an eligible sponsor who is either an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident.

The relation between the sponsor and the applicant can either be a brother, sister, parent, Non-dependent child, Aunt, Uncle, Nephew, Niece, First cousin, relative of the applicant’s spouse.

The sponsor should be living in a designated area of Australia before lodging the application and also need to prove that he/she will continue to live in the designated area till the decision is made regarding the application.

The sponsor will have to sign a sponsorship undertaking stating that he/she will provide required assistance to meet the applicant’s financial and social obligations for the period of 2 years to make the applicant’s living comfortable in Australia.

Apply Now!